Ash Canyon - October 1, 2024 (Part 1)

 It was a special day in Ash Canyon, lots of different bird species, some fairly common but a few uncommon or rare in this area.  Driving into the canyon, I met Tim (the sanctuary caretaker) on his way out.  He stopped to tell me there had been a Rufous-backed Robin coming in the past two days, so folks were there now to look for him.  Well, I'd never even heard of this bird, so definitely had never seen one.  It's native to western Mexico and is rarely seen in the U.S.  It is extremely shy, or wary, and is considered elusive.When it appeared later in the morning, it stayed deep in shadows, making good photos difficult.  I got a few, but they don't have the detail I would like.

Rufous-backed Robin

Rufous-backed Robin

Another bird I don't often see in this area, and one I long considered a "nemesis", is the Northern Flicker.  For years, all I saw of this bird was the white rump as it flew away from me to a distant tree.  I've gotten a few shots since, but never such good poses as this day.  In the East, it has yellow shafts (under wing and tail feathers), but in the West it has red shafts.

Northern Flicker (M)

Northern Flicker (M)

A few others we see here, but not that often, follow below.

Inca Dove

Scott's Oriole (F)

Scott's Oriole (M)

Orange-crowned Warbler

Pyrrhuloxia (M)


Gila Woodpecker (M)

And then there are the regulars, here all the time, but still worth a photo.  I took so many photos that day, I've split them to make two parts for the blog.  Part 2 will appear in a few days.

House Finch (M)

House Finch (F)

Anna's (M)

Canyon Towhee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Mourning Dove

Lesser Goldfinch (F)

Lesser Goldfinch (M)

Acorn Woodpecker (M)

Rock Squirrel

Curve-billed Thrasher



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anza-Borrego Desert, California - April 7, 2024

Anza-Borrego Desert, California - April 8, 2024

Sierra Vista & Ramsey Canyon, AZ - May 30, 2024