Ash Canyon - July 23, 2024

 Some minor surgery on my left hand made it difficult to hold the camera, so I hunkered down at home for several days before returning to Ash Canyon.  While hummingbirds are still relatively scarce there, I did get a nice variety of other birds.  It was particularly interesting when a Curve-billed Thrasher dug a hole in a flower bed only a few feet from where I was sitting and began fluffing its feathers and wallowing in the hole, occasionally scratching out more dirt.  After a few minutes, the bird left and did a little foraging under a feeder, then returned to the hole and wallowed some more.  The expression on its face was one of pure unadulterated joy.  I've never seen such behavior from a bird, especially one that always looks so stern.


Here are the photos of more normal activity.  One of my favorite birds, the Cactus Wren, gave me lots of poses while hopping all around.  I like the one where it goes diving in the brush pile, spreading its tailfeathers at the same time.

Anna's (F)

Anna's (F)

House Finch (M)

House Finch (F)

Lesser Goldfinch (M)

Lesser Goldfinch (F)

Acorn Woodpecker (M)

Turkey Vulture

Broad-billed (M)

Brown-headed Cowbird (M)

Brown-headed Cowbird (F)

Black-headed Grosbeak (M)

Blue Grosbeak (M)

Bewick's Wren

Cactus Wren

Cactus Wren

White-winged Dove

Northern Cardinal (F)

Gila Woodpecker (M)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anza-Borrego Desert, California - April 7, 2024

Anza-Borrego Desert, California - April 8, 2024

Sierra Vista & Ramsey Canyon, AZ - May 30, 2024